The Home Of The Bruce Collins Show

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Mining tragedy and my ancestors

That mining incident was a tragedy last night. I don't know how they could have miscommunicated the information about their deaths! I can only imagine that the families must be going thru a considerable amount of pain.

The surviving miner was sent to the hospital that was dedicated to my late Uncle (actually my aunt donated $8 million about twenty years ago to build it). JW Ruby was the owner of Ruby Enterprises and one of his companies was Sterling Faucets (which are still sold at Sears) until the early 70's when he sold the company to Rockwell International.

He also owned race horses, Alpine Lake Resort in West Virginia, he raised chickens (actually, he used to raise chickens in large caves that had something to do with temperature).

Sterling originally just produced ball bearings in the early 20th Century thru the first World War.

I was going to write a book about him a long time ago and uncovered a lot of corruption. So, I decided to leave the dead alone. Still, it would be a great story.


"The sole survivor, Randal McCloy, 27, was in critical condition in intensive care Wednesday at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.explosion.wed/index.html

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter